But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. – Acts 1:8
Dear All Angels’ Family,
We kicked off our Acts teaching series last Sunday with Jim’s challenge to us as a church to get off our own agendas and get on to God’s. He challenged us to:
- Take a spiritual health check and ask ourselves, “If Jesus really alive to me? Am I walking with him as a friend or is he a character in a book?”
- Ask, “What are the agendas I have for All Angels’?” and to bring them under the Lordship of Christ.
- Commit ourselves to the task of prayer day and night as we await the
- Holy Spirit’s leading for our lives and for All Angels’.
- Be open to whatever the Spirit wants us to do: a new vision, new tasks, new worlds to reach, even to experiencing persecution for the gospel as we follow Jesus.
If you missed it and are wondering where it is on our sermon podcast, there were some technical difficulties and we are working on getting it re-recorded and posted as soon as possible.
We also launched the survey, an important first step in our self-study, seeking to learn more about who we are as a church and what we are looking for in a Rector who will lead us in this next life stage of our church. Jim shared the words of John Wesley, “God does nothing but by prayer, and everything with it,” and exhorted us to make prayer our first priority: “Do not fill out the survey until you have been down on your knees.”
This Sunday, Christine will be preaching on Acts 2:1-11, the story of Pentecost and how the Holy Spirit was given to the disciples to be Christ’s witnesses. May the same be true of us as we begin this new year and new season!
Jim & Christine